The Blow Out

Husband had work to do. So I had to drive there, to Norwich, around the M25, up the M11 and beyond. He sat in the back with The Little One, I was up front behind the steering wheel. Husband drives a big car, a German car, one with gadgets and things that go bong, bing. And it’s an automatic, so it’s taken some getting used to; I drive a car with a clutch and gear stick – a proper car. Husband is trying to convert me, but I won’t have any of it, I like pretending I drive a sports raleigh, with bumps and mud. Anyway, I digress.

The big, daddy car only made twenty minutes of the journey, we weren’t even at St Albans, when a message flashed on the screen, WARNING TYRE PRESSURE, and kept on flashing with a bong bing. Then I felt it at the rear, the wobble, the suspension lop sided. By now, Husband had put his lap top away sensing something was awry, ‘you need to pull over onto the hard shoulder.’ I was in the third lane, at a little over 70 mph. The steering wheel held firm, but it was pretty nerve wracking pulling over into the second, and finally the first lane, where I very nearly, but not quite, collided with a lorry, ‘watch the lorry,’ husband shouted. I maintained impressive calm pulling the car onto the hard shoulder.

The hard shoulder is not a safe place to be. Husband got out, and surveyed the damage, traffic charging past at silly o’clock. ‘Tyre’s blown,’ he said back in the car. He phoned for help. Thank goodness we had breakdown cover from the AA, Husband had forgotten to renew it the year before. They advised us not to stay in car, to get out and climb over the railing, and walk to a place of safety. About a hundred yards away was a bridge, so we headed there. The AA arrived, and Husband made his way back to the car, leaving me and The Little One on the bridge with grey skies, spots of rain, and increasing winds; it was the weekend of the great autumn storm – great!

This story could go on forever, it was a long, long wait until a new tyre eventually arrived which involved a trip to a garage, and attached to the car. All I will say is that by the time we finally left, it was hours later, and we were very, very cold, and thank heavens for the company of Twitter – the sympathy was wonderful. And we made it to our destination in the end – better late than never. But it could have been so much worse; it could have been just me and The Little One stranded with no break down cover, mmm, no, I don’t want to think about that…

I thank the stars for road side help.

This is a collaborative post.   

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *